Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Difficult beginnings

When we first came to the US in 1999, I often felt overwhelmed with all the changes in my life. The biggest obstacle at the beginning has been the change from a big farmhouse countryside in Austria to a suburb 2 bedroom apartment near Boston. While my husband was in his office, my boys and I felt like being locked up in our small apartment. Soon, we started house hunting. We were looking for a house with a small, nice garden to rent. Turned out to be quite difficult, since we also had two cats that would move in with us. All ads stated clearly: No Pets.
After several weeks trying to find a house, we almost were ready to give up and return to Austria. Then, one day, we found it: Not the nicest of all houses we had seen, but with a garden and the permission for gardening as much as I like, and a lake with private neighborhood beach close by. Even the cats were welcome. That settled it, we stayed.
I learned from this experience that persistence and not giving up hope pays off. Today I learned about another person, who lived by the motto "there is no defeat, only temporary setbacks that are learning points". I blogged about the "Power of Persistence" on blog.coach4u.net
and coach4u.blog.de (in German; "Macht der Beharrlichkeit")

No comments: