Monday, January 21, 2008

Craving for German food

One of the most difficult tasks for us like for many people, who come to this country, was getting used to the food here. Everything tastes different , even such basic items as milk and butter. Therefore, it is also almost impossible to even cook our native dishes.
At the beginning , I spent much time on trying to find food that we would like. Now, after more than 9 years in America, we have settled in and food is no longer a problem. Mostly, we simply adjusted, but I also discovered many small grocery stores selling German or other ethnic food. Now, if the craving for "Leberkaese" gets strong, I know where to buy it. I also have a source for Bulgarian feta cheese and Hungarian salami. The only thing, I didn't find yet, is real "Quark" or as we call it in Austria "Topfen". Can anyone help me out here?

No comments: