Friday, February 13, 2009

Economy and College

I didn't write here for a long time because I have so much work with my teaching job. I'm teaching at a Community College and this semester I have suddenly a lot more students in my classes than before. This year, it even happened that one of my classes was full long before the end of the enrollment period.

The same happened to other teachers at my college, and though I don't have official numbers, I believe Community Colleges are now more attractive for many students because of the lower costs. In a tough economy like this one, students feel that four year colleges with their price tag of $ 30 000 and more per year, are unreachable - particularly here in the Northeast. Therefore, they start their education at two year institutions like mine, hoping to being able to transfer at a later time.

No comments: