Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Farmers Market

Today, I was at the Farmers Market in our town. It was a little sad, because the cold temperatures today reminded me that the weekly Farmers Market will soon be over. The farmers only come from June to end of October.

I love going to the Farmers Market. It's a bit like my former life in good ol' Europe.

In addition, the products are locally grown and much fresher than in supermarkets. One can also get a greater variety of fruit and veggies.




For example apples: It's almost impossible to find Spencer, Brock, Shamrock, Northern Spy, Melrose or Russet apples in a supermarket these days. It's just MacIntosh, Macoun, or Mutsu. Not even Baldwin apples are easy to find.

The only downside of the Farmers market in our town: The prices are considerably higher than in local supermarkets. That is different to what I'm used to. In Austria, buying directly from farmers also means saving money.

Well, nevertheless, I stocked up on apples, red cabbage, onions and leeks to fill the storage bins in our basement. Next week, I will buy more apples, pears and cabbage and then we will be all set for the long winter.

To find farmers markets in your state, go to Farmersmarket.com

No comments: